ProFractional Therapy - Frequently Asked Questions
- What is ProFractional Therapy?
- How does ProFractional work?
- What is the primary application of ProFractional?
- What areas can be treated?
- How many treatments will I need?
- What will happen during the procedure?
- Will it be uncomfortable?
- What should I expect after the treatment?
- How long will it take to recover?
- What aftercare do I need?
- When should I expect results?
1. What is ProFractional Therapy?
ProFractional Therapy is a quick and comfortable laser procedure with little downtime, used for improving the overall appearance of your skin. The procedure can be custom tailored to your specific skin conditions and desired outcome.
2. How does ProFractional work?
ProFractional uses a tiny laser beam to treat thousands of pinpoint areas of your skin. Because only a fraction of your skin is directly treated with the laser, the surrounding untreated tissue promotes rapid healing. This skin's wound healing response creates new collagen which add firmness and resilience to the skin.
3. What is the primary application of ProFractional?
Based on an assessment of your skin condition and cosmetic goals, Dr.White may choose to use ProFractional whenever a combination of resurfacing with minimal downtime is desired.
4. What areas of the body can be treated?
Most skin areas can be treated. Popular treatment areas are the face and neck, though many people also treat the chest and hands.
5. How many treatments will I need?
Excellent results can be obtained in just one treatment, though the number of treatments may vary from patient to patient. Dr. White can personalize a plan based on your specific needs and may choose to combine ProFractional Therapy with other aesthetic procedures to further personalize your treatment.
6. What will happen during the procedure?
Your skin will be cleaned in the treatment area and your eyes will be protected with safety shields. A laser handpiece will be positioned gently on the skin. When the laser energy is applied, you will hear a rapid succession of snapping sounds. The handpiece will be moved around to adjacent locations until the entire treatment area has been covered. The procedure normally takes 15 to 30 minutes.
7. Will it be uncomfortable?
ProFractional therapy is widely regarded as a comfortable procedure, usually tolerated with the use of a topical numbing cream or a local anesthetic, depending on the depth of treatment.
8. What should I expect immediately after the treatment?
Immediately following the procedure you may experience mild redness and a sensation resembling sunburn. Dr. White will advise you on specific after-treatment care recommendations, which may include analgesics and application of an ointment to keep the skin moist.
9. How long will it take to recover?
Complete healing typically occurs within a few days and most patients usually feel comfortable enough to get back to work and apply makeup a day or two after the treatment. There will likely be some swelling that will subside within several days following the treatment.
10. What aftercare do I need?
You may be given skin care products and instructions on how to use them. Your skin will be sensitive to ultra-violet light after the procedure, so you must avoid direct sun exposure until fully healed. It is recommended that you always use some level of solar protection to avoid sun damage and premature aging of your skin.
11. When should I expect results?
As your skin heals in the days following your treatment, you may notice a general tightening effect. However, the true benefit of ProFractional is the collagen remodeling that occurs during the 4 to 6 months following your treatment.